Update to 4.132140
4.132140 Fri Aug 2 11:38:57 CDT 2013
- Fixes RT bug #86963 wherein a call to list_dir() would previously
fail under certain circumstances.
This is a high-priority fix with no security-related implications.
See also https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=86963
4.131591 Fri Jun 7 22:19:05 CDT 2013
- POD (documentation) corrections.
4.131570 Thu Jun 6 23:15:27 CDT 2013
- Since Sat Mar 2 01:13:46 CST 2013, there has been an unofficial code
freeze in effect, during which time 580 test runs from the CPAN smoke
testers have had a 100% complete PASS rate.
- So I'm pleased to announce that I'm releasing this code as-is, under
the "STABLE"/"MATURE" designation.
- There are important bug fixes since the last STABLE release, particularly
in making the File::Util::max_dives() method behave as documented. See
- Near future plans are laid out in the TODO documentation file also
included with this documentation.
4.130610 Sat Mar 2 01:13:46 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, much polish on the quality of the distribution itself,
including extensive POD checks, fixes in documentation quality, and
overall tidiness. Reorganized the test suite so it remains correct to
"t" and "xt" test division conventions. Included a list \
4.130590 Wed Feb 27 21:59:30 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, probably the final trial before release as a mature distro
in the 4.x series (the 3.x series is already "mature" status).
- This release introduces unicode support via UTF-8 strict. Naturally
the test suite and coverage had to be expanded to cover the new feature
set. Documentation has also been updated to include explanation of
how to make use UTF-8 encoding in File::Util.
- Minor bug fixes and polish.
4.130560 Mon Feb 25 14:03:44 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, seventh trial in 4.x series. I am just about confident
enough to release this current code as an offical stable release to the
CPAN, but first I wanted to include the optimizations in this release.
- This release represents a vast number of optimizations that greatly
increase the performance of recursive calls.
- This release fixes some windows-specific bugs that have to deal with
recursively listing directories from a root volume, such as "C:\" for
- Added performance measurement scripts that allow users to both benchmark
and profile File::Util, with Devel::NYTProf being a prerequisite to such
4.130510 Tue Feb 19 18:10:12 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, sixth trial in 4.x series prior to first official release;
we're being very careful.
- Removed dependency for Exception::Handler and stole/improved code from it
so now there's no external dependencies whatsoever.
- Tests and documentation adjusted to reflect the change
4.130500 Mon Feb 18 19:13:11 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, fifth trial in 4.x series prior to first official release;
we're being very careful.
- This release features mainly performance optimizations, and many
windows-specific bug-fixes for those new optimizations which were caught
during thorough testing.
- This new version features a "max_depth" option for list_dir, which works
the same as the -max_depth flag for GNU find.
- the max_dives() method has been renamed to abort_depth(), with back-compat
fully preserved; this is to avoid confusion with the new max_depth
option for list_dir()
- Documentation updated to show examples of the new feature.
- For operating systems that support it, list_dir() now keeps track of the
filesystem inodes it sees while walking directories to detect and avoid
filesystem loops. Sadly, Windows does not support the native stat/lstat
calls in Perl, and therefore this is feature is silently disabled on
any platform where it is detected that the stat/lstat calls don't work.
- New example script added to examples/ directory and to the Cookbook.
- Main perldoc manpage for File::Util updated
4.130483 Sat Feb 16 23:07:29 CST 2013
- TRIAL version, fourth trial in the 4.x series.
- Tidied up documentation for main man page (perldoc).
- Increased test coverage, Devel::Cover scores are very much higher
- Fixed some bugs discovered while expanding test coverage and writing
new tests - this is the best way to find and fix bugs.
4.130460 Thu Feb 14 22:24:50 CST 2013
- TRIAL version. The third trial release of the 4.x series. Removed a
few bits of code from the test suite that were causing false failures
in CPAN tester results. More importantly, this version includes
optimizations to the list_dir() regex pattern matching when recursing
through directory trees. Namely, the "pattern gathering" has been
memo-ized and stashed into the options passed to recursive calls.
4.130425 Mon Feb 11 15:37:47 CST 2013
- TRIAL version. Released to CPAN after taking into account some changes
recommended by a few of the good folks at perlmonks, namely some method
name changes. The old method names still work fine and are completely
supported. The changes are shown below:
| OLD NAME | NEW NAME |
| can_read | is_readable |
| can_write | is_writable |
| readlimit | read_limit |
| isbin | is_bin |
- Some changes to the POD documentation have been made as well, both to
reflect the name changes as well as to clean things up even more in
terms of clarity and better formatting.
- Some test updates were needed to reflect the use of the new method names
4.130420 Sun Feb 10 21:45:05 CST 2013
- TRIAL version. Released to CPAN for those who may want to test drive
it. The enhancements, improvements, feature additions, and bug fixes
in this release are far to great to be enumerated here in the changes
file. A git repository was set up for File::Util last December, and
the commit logs will tell the full story of all changes.
- The commit log can be read here:
- A summary of new things would include the newer, more modern-style
call syntax, user-definable custom error handlers, list_dir()
callbacks plus advanced regular expression filtering features, much
more comprehensive documentation including a manual and a cookbook,
performance optimizations, the ability to enable/disable the
verbose diagnostics that have hitherto been the default error
mechanism, and much more. The quality of the distribution has also
been greatly improved.
- All new features are covered at length in the documentation, so
anything you don't see here will be mentioned and throughly covered
there. Full backward-compatibility with the 3.x series feature-set
and syntax has been preserved
3.39 Sun Jan 6 15:54:10 CST 2013
- Significant improvements in test suite, but most importantly
eliminated a bug found in make_dir() where absolute paths caused
problems on some platforms.
- Fixed a bug that caused testing to fail on Solaris