/freetype2, Font rendering engine and library API
2.7.1, Package name:
freetype2-2.7.1, Maintainer: pkgsrc-users
FreeType is a portable, high-quality software solution for digital
typography. FreeType 1.3.1 was the last release of the FreeType 1
engine, as the project is now switching to a new version dubbed FreeType
2. It has, among other things, several advantages over FreeType 1:
* A universal and simple API to manage font files
* Support for several font formats through loadable drivers
* Even more portable
* An improved anti-aliasing algorithm
Required to build:
Master sites: SHA1:
Version history: (Expand)
- (2017-01-18) Updated to version: freetype2-2.7.1
- (2016-10-31) Updated to version: freetype2-2.7nb1
- (2016-09-14) Updated to version: freetype2-2.7
- (2016-07-22) Updated to version: freetype2-2.6.5
- (2016-07-09) Updated to version: freetype2-2.6.4
- (2016-04-07) Updated to version: freetype2-2.6.3
CVS history: (Expand)
| 2017-01-19 19:52:30 by Alistair G. Crooks | Files touched by this commit (352) |
Convert all occurrences (353 by my count) of
MASTER_SITES= site1 \
style continuation lines to be simple repeated
lines. As previewed on tech-pkg. With thanks to rillig for fixing pkglint
| 2017-01-16 14:11:46 by Adam Ciarcinski | Files touched by this commit (2) |
FreeType 2.7.1 has been released. The most important news is preliminary support \
of Adobe's new CFF2 font format and variation fonts as specified in the new \
OpenType specification version 1.8. It also fixes the handling of raw CID fonts \
(which might be found in PDF files)
| 2016-10-30 18:07:12 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (1) | |
Add rpath to freetype-config script.
| 2016-09-12 20:06:44 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (3) | |
Updated freetype2 to 2.7.
Remove subpixel option which is now on by default.
CHANGES BETWEEN 2.6.5 and 2.7
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- As announced earlier, the 2.7.x series now uses the new subpixel
hinting mode as the default, emulating a modern version of
This change inevitably leads to different rendering results, and
you might change the `TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING'
configuration option to adapt it to your taste (or use the new
`FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' environment variable). See the
corresponding entry below for version 2.6.4, which gives more
- A new option `FT_CONFIG_OPTION_ENVIRONMENT_PROPERTIES' has been
introduced. If set (which is the default), an environment
variable `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES' can be used to control driver
This allows to select, say, the subpixel hinting mode at runtime
for a given application. See file `ftoption.h' for more.
II. IMPORTANT BUG FIXES
- After loading a named instance of a GX variation font, the
`face_index' value in the returned `FT_Face' structure now
correctly holds the named instance index in the upper 16bits as
- A new macro `FT_IS_NAMED_INSTANCE' to test whether a given face
is a named instance.
- More fixes to GX font handling.
- Apple's `GETVARIATION' bytecode operator (needed for GX
variation font support) has been implemented.
- Another round of fuzzer fixes, mainly to reject invalid fonts
- Handling of raw CID fonts was broken (bug introduced in version
- The smooth rasterizer has been streamlined to make it faster by
- The `ftgrid' demo program now understands command line option
`-d' to give start-up design coordinates.
- The `ftdump' demo program has a new command line option `-p' to
dump TrueType bytecode instructions.
| 2016-07-22 12:30:11 by Adam Ciarcinski | Files touched by this commit (2) |
This release is almost identical to the previous version, with two differences.
* It compiles again on Mac OS X, and
* it reverts the activation of subpixel hinting by default; it will be enabled \
by default in the forthcoming 2.7.x series. Main reason for reverting this \
feature is the principle of least surprise: a sudden change in appearance of all \
fonts (even if the rendering improves for almost all recent fonts) should not be \
expected in a new micro version of a series.
| 2016-07-09 14:23:16 by Adam Ciarcinski | Files touched by this commit (5) |
FreeType 2.6.4 has been released. The most important change is a new bytecode \
hinting mode for TrueType fonts that finally activates subpixel hinting (a.k.a. \
ClearType hinting) by default.
The new release also brings support for the following new scripts in the \
auto-hinter: Armenian, Cherokee, Ethiopic, Georgian, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, \
Malayalam, Sinhala, and Tamil.
| 2016-04-07 12:02:13 by Adam Ciarcinski | Files touched by this commit (3) |
CHANGES BETWEEN 2.6.2 and 2.6.3
I. IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Khmer, Myanmar, Bengali, and Kannada script support has been
added to the auto-hinter.
- Better support of Indic scripts like Devanagari by using a
top-to-bottom hinting flow.
- All FreeType macros starting with two underscores have been
renamed to avoid a violation of both the C and C++ standards.
Example: Header macros of the form `__FOO_H__' are now called
`FOO_H_'. In most cases, this should be completely transparent
to the user. The exception to this is `__FTERRORS_H__', which
must be sometimes undefined by the user to get FreeType error
strings: Both this form and the new `FTERRORS_H_' macro are
accepted for backwards compatibility.
- Minor improvements mainly to the Type 1 driver.
- The new CFF engine now supports all Type 2 operators except
- The macro `_STANDALONE_', used for compiling the B/W and smooth
rasterizers as stand-alone modules, has been renamed to
`STANDALONE_', since macro names starting with an underscore and
followed by an uppercase letter are reserved in both C and C++.
- Function `FT_Library_SetLcdFilterWeights' now also activates
custom LCD filter weights (instead of just adjusting them).
- Support for `unpatented hinting' has been completely removed:
Consequently, the two functions `FT_Face_CheckTrueTypePatents'
and `FT_Face_SetUnpatentedHinting' now return always false,
- The `ftgamma' demo program has been modernized; the gamma grid
display has been moved from `ftview' to this program.
- It is now possible to cycle through the available LCD fitlering
| 2016-03-14 07:08:11 by Darrin B. Jewell | Files touched by this commit (1) |
set CHECK_BUILTIN.zlib:=yes so that zlib's builtin.mk won't create a fake zlib.pc
otherwise, freetype2 will add a Requires: for the fake .pc file to its own .pc file