/john, Unix Password Cracker
1.8.0, Package name:
john-1.8.0, Maintainer: pkgsrc-users
John the Ripper is a password cracker, currently available for UNIX, DOS,
WinNT/Win95. Its primary purpose is to detect weak UNIX passwords. It has
been tested with Linux x86/Alpha/SPARC, FreeBSD x86, OpenBSD x86, Solaris
2.x SPARC and x86, Digital UNIX, AIX, HP-UX, and IRIX.
The DOS and Win32 ports are done with DJGPP and Cygnus Developer's Kit,
Master sites: SHA1:
Version history: (Expand)
- (2014-09-14) Updated to version: john-1.8.0
- (2011-06-20) Updated to version: john-1.7.6nb1
- (2010-12-13) Updated to version: john-1.7.6
- (2009-08-07) Updated to version: john-22.214.171.124
- (2007-02-10) Updated to version: john-1.7.2
- (2006-03-30) Updated to version: john-126.96.36.199
CVS history: (Expand)
| 2016-01-28 11:04:39 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (1) |
Add a missing endif in Solaris case.
| 2016-01-24 17:14:45 by Jonathan Perkin | Files touched by this commit (16) |
Attempt to bring sanity to how ABI and MACHINE_ARCH are set.
Previously there were at least 5 different ways MACHINE_ARCH could be set,
some statically and some at run time, and in many cases these settings
differed, leading to issues at pkg_add time where there was conflict
between the setting encoded into the package and that used by pkg_install.
Instead, move to a single source of truth where the correct value based on
the host and the chosen (or default) ABI is determined in the bootstrap
script. The value can still be overridden in mk.conf if necessary, e.g.
ABI is now set by default and if unset a default is calculated based on
MACHINE_ARCH. This fixes some OS, e.g. Linux, where the wrong default was
As a result of the refactoring there is no need for LOWER_ARCH, with
references to it replaced by MACHINE_ARCH. SPARC_TARGET_ARCH is also
| 2015-11-04 02:18:12 by Alistair G. Crooks | Files touched by this commit (434) |
Add SHA512 digests for distfiles for security category
Problems found locating distfiles:
Package f-prot-antivirus6-fs-bin: missing distfile fp-NetBSD.x86.32-fs-6.2.3.tar.gz
Package f-prot-antivirus6-ws-bin: missing distfile fp-NetBSD.x86.32-ws-6.2.3.tar.gz
Package libidea: missing distfile libidea-0.8.2b.tar.gz
Package openssh: missing distfile openssh-7.1p1-hpn-20150822.diff.bz2
Package uvscan: missing distfile vlp4510e.tar.Z
Otherwise, existing SHA1 digests verified and found to be the same on
the machine holding the existing distfiles (morden). All existing
SHA1 digests retained for now as an audit trail.
| 2014-09-19 07:45:51 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (1) | |
Remove patch-ac which was removed from distinfo during 1.8.0 update.
| 2014-09-14 15:20:08 by Sergey Svishchev | Files touched by this commit (4) | |
Update to 1.8.0 (2013). Notable changes:
* Relaxed the license for many source files to cut-down BSD.
* Relaxed the license for John the Ripper as a whole from GPLv2 (exact
version) to GPLv2 or newer with optional OpenSSL and unRAR exceptions.
* Enhanced the support for DES-based tripcodes by making use of the
bitslice DES implementation and supporting OpenMP parallelization.
* Implemented bitmaps for fast initial comparison of computed hashes
against those loaded for cracking.
This provides a substantial performance improvement when cracking large
numbers of fast hashes.
* With 32-bit x86 builds and at least MMX enabled, the "two hashes at a
time" code for bcrypt is now enabled for GCC 4.2 and newer.
This is faster bcrypt cracking on some old and new computers running
32-bit operating systems or VMs for whatever reason.
* Revised the incremental mode to let the current character counts grow
for each character position independently, with the aim to improve
efficiency in terms of successful guesses per candidate passwords tested.
* Revised the pre-defined incremental modes, as well as external mode
filters that are used to generate .chr files.
* Added makechr, a script to (re-)generate .chr files.
* Enhanced the status reporting to include four distinct speed metrics
(g/s, p/s, c/s, and C/s).
* Added the "--fork=N" and "--node=MIN[-MAX]/TOTAL" options \
parallel and distributed processing.
| 2012-10-23 20:17:02 by Aleksej Saushev | Files touched by this commit (368) |
Drop superfluous PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT, "user-destdir" is default these days.
| 2011-06-20 11:17:50 by Matthias Drochner | Files touched by this commit (3) |
add patch from upstream to fix a sign extension problem which
breaks blowfish password hashes for non-ASCII characters
| 2010-12-13 11:33:24 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (1) |