/ha, The HA archiver using the HSC compression method
0.999bnb2, Package name:
ha-0.999bnb2, Maintainer: pkgsrc-users
HA is an archiver which I released in january 1993 as version 0.98.
After that I had plans to improve speed, archive handling etc. which
would have required total rewrite of the code. For that I unfortunately
could not find time. Because there has been quite considerably interest
for internals of HA (especially for the HSC compression method) I
decided to make a source level release from my current test version
(0.999 beta) and place it under GNU General Public License. The sources
for this version are not very consistent or clean, but everything should
There are several improvements which should be made before this could be
called version 1.0. Some of the most obvious of these are:
- Compression methods should be coded in assembler for PC and using more
efficient data structures for 32 bit platforms. Current version does
some things only to overcome 64kB segments of 8086.
- UNIX port has still some problems and is missing some things (for example
a grouping operator in wildcard matches).
- File handling is far from optimum.
- Archive handling is not too clever either.
- Testing should be done more thoroughly as there are many special cases
in compression routines which get used very rarely.
- Documentation of code and algorithms is totally missing.
Master sites: SHA1:
Version history: (Expand)
- (2013-09-19) Updated to version: ha-0.999bnb2
- (2006-02-06) Updated to version: ha-0.999bnb1
- (2005-10-05) Package added to pkgsrc.se, version ha-0.999b (created)
CVS history: (Expand)