Update to 1.13.2:
Changes in version 1.13.2, released on December 13, 2014
--- MAJOR NEW FEATURES ---
* Include an implementation of man(1), the manual page viewer.
* Unified set of command line option, each one supported by all
command names, including new options -a (format all), -c (no
pager), -h (synopsis only), and -w (list filenames).
* Support the MANPAGER and PAGER environment variables.
* Support gzip'ed manuals by the whole toolset, even as .so targets.
* Support UTF-8 and Latin-1 input by the whole toolset, delete preconv(1).
* Switch the default output mode from -Tascii to -Tlocale.
* Improve -Tascii output for Unicode escape sequences.
* Let the -Thtml output mode produce polyglot HTML5.
* Many improvements for eqn(7), in particular in-line equations,
MathML output in -Thtml mode, and much improved terminal formatting.
--- PORTABILITY IMPROVEMENTS ---
* Change the build sequence to the usual ./configure; make; make install.
* Support ./configure.local for build customizations.
* Autodetect wchar, sqlite3, and manpath support.
* Provide a fallback version of fts(3) for systems lacking it.
* Support choosing alternative binary and manual names.
--- MINOR NEW FEATURES ---
* Rudimentary implementation of the e, x, and z tbl(7) layout
modifiers to equalize, maximize, and ignore the width of columns.
* Implement font modifiers in tbl(7) layouts.
* Allow comma-separated options in the tbl(7) options line.
* Parse and ignore the .pl (page length) roff(7) request.
* Implement .An -[no]split for the mdoc(7) -Thtml output mode.
* Support bold italic font in PostScript and PDF output.
* Warn about commas in function arguments and parentheses in function names.
* Warn about botched .Xr ordering and punctuation below SEE ALSO.
* Warn about AUTHORS sections without .An macros.
* Warn about attempts to call non-callable macros.
* New developer documentation manual page mandoc_headers(3).
--- BUGFIXES ---
* Fix read buffer overrun sometimes triggered by trailing whitespace.
* Fix read buffer overrun triggered by certain invalid \H sequences.
* Fix NULL pointer access triggered by .Bl without any arguments.
* Fix NULL pointer access triggered by .It Nm Fo without .Fc.
* Fix NULL pointer access triggered by .Sh Xo .Sh without .Xc.
* Fix NULL pointer access triggered by missing .Nm.
* Fix an assertion triggered by .It right after .El.
* Fix an assertion triggered by .Ec without preceding .Eo.
* Fix an assertion triggered by .Sm or .Db with multiple arguments.
* Fix assertion failures triggered by very large width arguments.
* Fix a division by zero in the roff(7) parser.
* Prevent negative arguments to .ll from causing integer underflow.
* Correctly autodetect source format even when .Dd is preceded by .ll.
* Multiple fixes with respect to .Bd and .Bl -offset and -width.
* Many bugfixes with respect to scaling units.
* Multiple fixes with respect to delimiter handling by in-line macros.
* Multiple fixes with respect to .Pf.
* Make \c work properly in no-fill mode.
* Stricter syntax checking of Unicode character names.
--- THANKS TO ---
* Kristaps Dzonsons for rewriting the eqn(7) parser, implementing
HTML5 and MathML output, and various other code contributions.
* Jonathan Gray (OpenBSD) for extensive testing with afl (the
American Fuzzy Lop security fuzzer) resulting in many bug reports.
* Anthony Bentley (OpenBSD), Baptiste Daroussin (FreeBSD), Daniel
Dickman, Doug Hogan, Jason McIntyre, Theo de Raadt (OpenBSD),
and Martin Natano for source code patches.
* Carsten Kunze (Heirloom troff), Daniel Levai (Slackware),
Garrett D'Amore (illumos), Giovanni Becchis, Matthew Dempsky,
Stuart Henderson, Ted Unangst, Todd Miller (OpenBSD), Thomas
Klausner (NetBSD), Ulrich Spoerlein (FreeBSD), Justin Haynes,
Marcus Merighi, Sebastien Marie, Steffen Nurpmeso and Theo Buehler
for bug reports.
Update to 1.13.1:
Changes in version 1.13.1, released on August 10, 2014
--- MAJOR NEW FEATURES ---
* A complete apropos(1)/makewhatis(8)/man.cgi(8) suite
based on SQLite3 is now included.
CAVEAT: This also requires a working fts(3) implementation.
If your system lacks that *and* you want apropos(1)/makewhatis(8),
stay with 1.12.3 for now, then go to 1.12.4 and 1.13.2.
[wiz: for this reason, the package does not enable these tools yet]
* The roff(7) parser now provides an almost complete implementation
of numerical expressions.
* Warning and error messages have been improved in many ways.
Almost all fatal errors were downgraded to normal errors and some
even to warnings. Almost all messages now mention the macro where
the issue is detected and many indicate the workaround employed.
The mandoc(1) manual now includes a list explaining all messages.
--- MINOR NEW FEATURES ---
* The roff(7) parser now supports the .ami (append to macro with
indirectly specified name), .as (append to user-defined
string), .dei (define macro with indirectly specified name),
.ll (line length), and .rr (remove register) requests.
* The roff(7) parser now supports string comparison and numerical
conditionals in the .if and .ie requests.
* The roff parser now fully supports the \B (validate numerical
expression) and partially supports the \w (measure text width)
* The terminal formatter now supports the \: (optional line break)
* The roff parser now supports expansion of user-defined strings
involving indirect references.
* The roff(7) parser now handles some pre-defined read-only
number registers that occur in the pod2man(1) preamble.
* For backward compatibility, the mdoc(7) parser and formatters
now support the obsolete macros .En, .Es, .Fr, and .Ot.
* The mdoc(7) formatter non partially supports .Bd -centered.
* tbl(7) now handles leading and trailing vertical lines.
* The build system now provides fallback versions of strcasestr(3)
and strsep(3) for systems lacking them.
* The mdoc(7) manual now explains how various standards
supported by the .St macro are related to each other.
--- BUGFIXES ---
* In the roff(7) parser, several bugs were fixed with respect
to closing conditional blocks on macro lines.
* Parsing of roff(7) identifiers and escape sequences was improved
in multiple respects.
* In the mdoc(7) parser, the handling of defective document
prologues was improved in multiple ways.
* The mdoc(7) parser no longer skips content before the first section
header, and it no longer deletes non-.% content from .Rs blocks.
* In the mdoc(7) parser, a crash was fixed related to weird .Sh headers.
* In the mdoc(7) parser, handling of .Sm with missing or invalid
arguments was corrected.
* In the mdoc(7) parser, trailing punctuation at the end of partial
implicit macros no longer triggers end-of-sentence spacing.
* In the terminal formatter, two crashes were fixed: one triggered by
excessive indentation and another by excessively long .Nm arguments.
* In the terminal formatter, a floating point rounding bug was
fixed that sometimes caused an off-by-one error in indentation.
* In the UTF-8 formatter, rendering of accents, breakable hyphens,
and non-breakable spaces was corrected.
* In the HTML formatter, encoding of special characters was
corrected in multiple respects.
* In the mdoc(7) formatter, rendering of .Ex and .Rv was
improved for various edge cases.
* In the mdoc(7) formatter, handling of empty .Bl -inset item
heads was improved.
* In the man(7) formatter, some bugs were fixed with respect
to same-line detection in the context of .TP and .nf macros,
and the indentation of .IP and .TP blocks was improved.
* The mandoc(3) library no longer prints to stderr.
--- THANKS TO ---
Abhinav Upadhyay (NetBSD), Andreas Voegele, Anthony Bentley (OpenBSD),
Christian Weisgerber (OpenBSD), Havard Eidnes (NetBSD), Jan Stary,
Jason McIntyre (OpenBSD), Jeremie Courreges-Anglas (OpenBSD),
Joerg Sonnenberger (NetBSD), Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado (OpenBSD),
Marc Espie (OpenBSD), Matthias Scheler (NetBSD), Pascal Stumpf (OpenBSD),
Paul Onyschuk (Alpine Linux), Sebastien Marie, Steffen Nurpmeso,
Stuart Henderson (OpenBSD), Ted Unangst (OpenBSD), Theo de Raadt (OpenBSD),
Thomas Klausner (NetBSD), and Ulrich Spoerlein (FreeBSD)
for reporting bugs and missing features.
Update to 1.12.3:
Changes in version 1.12.3, released on December 31, 2013
* In the mdoc(7) SYNOPSIS, line breaks and hanging indentation
now work correctly for .Fo/.Fa/.Fc and .Fn blocks.
Thanks to Franco Fichtner for doing part of the work.
* The mdoc(7) .Bk macro got some addititonal bugfixes.
* In mdoc(7) macro arguments, double quotes can now be quoted
by doubling them, just like in man(7).
Thanks to Tsugutomo ENAMI for the patch.
* At the end of man(7) macro lines, end-of-sentence spacing
now works. Thanks to Franco Fichtner for the patch.
* For backward compatibility, the man(7) parser now supports the
man-ext .UR/.UE (uniform resource identifier) block macros.
* The man(7) parser now handles closing blocks that are not open
* The man(7) parser now ignores blank lines right after .SH and .SS.
* In the man(7) formatter, reset indentation when leaving a block,
not just when entering the next one.
* The roff(7) .nr request now supports incrementing and decrementing
number registers and stops parsing the number right before the
first non-digit character.
* The roff(7) parser now supports the alternative escape sequence
syntax \C'uXXXX' for Unicode characters.
* The roff(7) parser now parses and ignores the .fam (font family)
and .hw (hyphenation points) requests and the \d and \u escape
* The roff(7) manual got a new ESCAPE SEQUENCE REFERENCE.