/gifsicle, Create, edit, and inspect GIFs from shell
1.78, Package name:
gifsicle-1.78, Maintainer: pkgsrc-users
Gifsicle is a UNIX command-line tool for creating, editing, and getting
information about GIF images and animations. You can also extract frames from
animations, or replace, delete, or insert frames into existing animations.
Some more gifsicle features:
- Batch mode for changing GIFs in place.
- Prints detailed information about GIFs, including comments.
- Control over interlacing, comments, looping, transparency...
- Creates well-behaved GIFs: removes redundant colors, only uses
local color tables if it absolutely has to (local color tables
waste space and can cause viewing artifacts), etc.
- It can shrink colormaps and change images to use the Web-safe
palette (or any colormap you choose).
- It can optimize your animations! This stores only the changed
portion of each frame, and can radically shrink your GIFs. You
can also use transparency to make them even smaller. Gifsicle's
optimizer is pretty powerful, and usually reduces animations
to within a couple bytes of the best commercial optimizers.
- Unoptimizing animations, which makes them easier to edit.
Two other programs are included with gifsicle: gifview is a lightweight
animated-GIF viewer which can show animations as slideshows or in real
time, and gifdiff compares two GIFs for identical visual appearance.
Required to build:
] Package options
Master sites: SHA1:
Version history: (Expand)
- (2014-02-16) Updated to version: gifsicle-1.78
- (2013-09-14) Updated to version: gifsicle-1.71
- (2006-02-06) Updated to version: gifsicle-1.41nb1
- (2005-10-05) Package added to pkgsrc.se, version gifsicle-1.41 (created)
CVS history: (Expand)
| 2015-11-03 22:34:36 by Alistair G. Crooks | Files touched by this commit (610) |
Add SHA512 digests for distfiles for graphics category
Problems found with existing digests:
Package fotoxx distfile fotoxx-14.03.1.tar.gz
Package ploticus-examples distfile ploticus-2.00/plnode200.tar.gz
Problems found locating distfiles:
Package AfterShotPro: missing distfile AfterShotPro-188.8.131.52/AfterShotPro_i386.deb
Package pgraf: missing distfile pgraf-20010131.tar.gz
Package qvplay: missing distfile qvplay-0.95.tar.gz
Otherwise, existing SHA1 digests verified and found to be the same on
the machine holding the existing distfiles (morden). All existing
SHA1 digests retained for now as an audit trail.
| 2014-02-16 02:04:39 by Amitai Schlair | Files touched by this commit (2) | |
Update to 1.78. From the changelog:
* Correct an optimization bug introduced in 1.76. Reported by Tom
* Major improvements to color selection (important when reducing
colormap size). Use gamma-corrected colors in selection and
dithering; this makes image quality much better. Also, when reducing
colors with dithering, prefer to select colors that dithering can't
* Add ordered dithering modes, which avoid animation artifacts. The
default ordered dithering mode (`--dither=ordered`) is a novel mode
that combines some of the visual advantages of error diffusion with
the artifact avoidance of ordered dithering.
* Add halftone dithering (`--dither=halftone`).
* gifview: Improved cache memory management for better animations.
Collect memory for old frames based on an explicit --memory-limit
* gifview: Add `--fallback-delay` option, to specify a fallback delay
for frames with delay 0. Thanks to Sung Pae.
* Fix `-O2` crashes introduced with `--resize` improvements. Reported
by Bryan Stillwell.
* Improve `--careful` (fewer crashes). Reported by Bryan Stillwell.
* Improve `-O2`: again, don't refuse to optimize images with local
color tables. Reported by Bryan Stillwell.
* Greatly improve `--dither` speed.
* Improve `--resize` behavior: avoid animation artifacts due to
different rounding decisions. Also speed it up. Reported by Bryan
* Fix bug where `-O2` would refuse to optimize some images with local
color tables, claiming that "more than 256 colors were required".
What was really required is previous disposal. Reported by Bryan
* Fix crash bugs on some combinations of `--crop` and `--resize`
(prevalent on images whose first frame didn't cover the whole
logical screen). Reported by Bryan Stillwell.
| 2013-09-14 11:13:26 by Adam Ciarcinski | Files touched by this commit (4) |
* Avoid rounding errors in '--resize'.
* Report error when '-I' is combined with '-b'.
* Frame selections also apply in batch mode.
| 2012-10-06 16:11:27 by Aleksej Saushev | Files touched by this commit (427) |
Drop superfluous PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT, "user-destdir" is default these days.
| 2008-06-20 03:09:45 by Joerg Sonnenberger | Files touched by this commit (993) |
Add DESTDIR support.
| 2007-02-01 18:10:38 by Joerg Sonnenberger | Files touched by this commit (1) |
Modular Xorg support.
| 2006-03-16 23:46:30 by Thomas Klausner | Files touched by this commit (3) |
Reset maintainer, host says:
Name service error for name=wongs.net type=MX: Host not found, try again.
for five days in a row, on two separate occasions (more than a week apart).
| 2006-02-06 00:11:50 by Joerg Sonnenberger | Files touched by this commit (4082) |
Recursive revision bump / recommended bump for gettext ABI change.